Wednesday, March 1, 2023

An Ode to My Voice

Several months ago, I had the honor of participating in an annual spoken word and poetry event. My stomach was aflutter due to the vulnerable nature of my piece, yet I found the process of sharing deeply cathartic.

I dedicate these words to anyone who has struggled to find their voice or muster up the courage to express themselves. I know well the pain of stories untold, words unspoken, questions unasked, all for the sake of keeping everyone else comfortable and avoiding rejection.

Bottling up our spirit for years or even decades feeds loneliness, shame, and resentment, among other emotions. When we don't feel safe, words that yearn to come forth are instead buried deep within the tissues of the body and may later reemerge as physical illness.

Behind every voice is a unique story. Bit by bit I'm sharing mine. Thank you for receiving me with empathy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment